Chicken Corn Soup for the Soul

Almost exactly a month ago I found out that a very close friend of ours has bone cancer.  It took me a really long time to come to terms with his diagnosis.  I am finally finding my emotional balance again.  I learned a lot about chemotherapy and it's effects on the GI tract.  So no spicy, oily, heavy food for my friend.  I told him I'd make him some chicken corn soup, so today via google video chat mom walked me through some Chicken Corn soup.

Ingredients
1 can cream of corn
1 cup frozen corn
4 whole eggs beaten
1/4 cup soy sauce to saute chicken
1/2 cup corn starch (may need to adjust)
2 tbsp oil

Broth
1 whole chicken breast with some bones if possible
14 cups water
1 tspn salt
1 tspn white pepper
1 tspn mustard
4 cloves garlic whole

Directions
Boil chicken to make broth for 30 minutes, reduce to 12 cups.

Remove cooked chicken from broth, shred and saute in soy sauce and oil. Add cream of corn, regular corn, broth and bring to rolling boil. Add corn starch while boiling. Bring to boil again. Add eggs and stir after thirty seconds. Turn off heat. Serve with optional accompaniments: soy sauce, green chilli in vinegar, sri racha, red devil tabasco, salt, pepper, kettle chips.

I made a batch for him and a batch for myself.  Our diets change with our lives and there is always something you can make to bring you comfort even in the most challenging times. 

Comments

Popular Posts